The Training consists of four courses namely:
1. Personal survival at sea techniques (STCW Code Table A-VI/1-1)
2. Basic fire Prevention and fire fighting (STCW Code Table A-VI/1-2)
3. Elementary first aid (STCW Code Table A-VI/1-3)
4. Personal safety and social responsibility (STCW Code Table A-VI/1-4)
Every Candidate for certification in Basic STCW '95 course shall be required to demonstrate the following listed level of competence:
1. Survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment.
2. Minimize the risk of fire and maintain a state of readiness to respond to emergencies involving fire.
3. Fight and extinguish fires.
4. Take immediate action upon encountering accident or other medical emergency.
5. Comply with emergency procedures.
6. Take precautions to prevent pollution of the marine environment.
7. Observe safe working practices.
8. Contribute to effective communications on board ship.
9. Contribute to effective human relationships on board ship.
10. Understand and take necessary actions to control fatigue.
Assessment is continuous during the course, there will be practical on fire fighting and survival at sea drills, with a final written assessment on the last day.
Successful candidates will receive certificate of training in STCW Basic Safety.
For the issue of a Certificate of Proficiency in STCW '95 Basic Safety
Training you must:
(a) Be at least 18 years of age
(b) Successfully complete approved training in Personal Survival Techniques, Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting, Elementary First Aid meeting the stated standard of competence specified in Sections of the STCW Code.