Every candidate seeking certificate of proficiency as a ship security officer shall successfully complete an approved Ship Security Officer training programme, meeting the standards laid down in paragraph A-VI/5 of the STCW Code and taking into account the guidance given in section B-VI/5 of the Code.
1. Maintain and supervise the implementation of a ship security plan.
2. Assess security risk, threat and vulnerability.
3. Undertake regular inspections of the ship to ensure that appropriate security measures are implemented and maintained.
4. Ensure that security equipment and systems, if any, are properly operated, tested and calibrated.
5. Encourage security awareness and vigilance.
Assessment is continuous during the course, with a final written assessment on the last day.
Successful candidates will receive certificate of proficiency as a Ship Security Officer.
For the issue of a Certificate of Proficiency as an SSO Candidate must:
(a) Have completed at least 12 months approved seagoing service or a minimum of 6 months appropriate seagoing service allowing you to gain knowledge of ships operations to enable you to achieve the objectives of the training
(b) Successfully complete an approved training programme in Ship Security Officer training programme, meeting the standards laid down in paragraph A-VI/5 of the STCW Code.